Nominations for the Minnesota Book Awards are now closed. Click here to see the full list of nominees. Winners will be announced April 18, 2015.
All books must be the work of a Minnesota author or primary artistic creator (current Minnesota resident who maintains a year-round residence in Minnesota). All books must be published in 2014. If the book’s copyright date is not 2014, a written explanation of the book’s release date must be included with nomination materials.
The following are eligible:
- Print and eBooks with an ISBN
- Books created by a writing team, if at least one of the primary authors or artistic creators is a Minnesota resident
- Books by authors who are living at the commencement of the eligibility year (January 1, 2014)
- Books with previously published material if the majority of content is new
- New editions of previously published books if at least fifty percent of the content is ne
The following are not eligible:
- Reprints of books published in another year
- Anthologies containing work written by multiple authors
- Books originally written in languages other than English
- Advance reading copies and galleys. If a book’s 2014 release date is after the nomination deadline, the author or publisher must contact the Minnesota Book Awards office prior to December 5, 2014 to discuss a submission plan
- Plays or screenplays
- The final decision on a book’s eligibility is made by the Minnesota Book Awards, and its decision will be binding
- Children’s Literature: picture book for young children (authors and illustrators are both eligible in this category)
- General Nonfiction: book of nonfiction, including, but not limited to, history, biography, science, nature, and cookbooks
- Genre Fiction: a book of fiction written in a popular genre or style, including mystery, detective, fantasy, romance, graphic novel, and science fiction
- Memoir & Creative Nonfiction: primarily autobiographical book of nonfiction, or book with a significant amount of personal material and/or imaginative reworking
- Minnesota: a book of nonfiction with a topic on Minnesota history, nature, social customs, or nostalgia
- Novel & Short Story: a novel, novella, or short story collection
- Poetry: a book-length single poem or collection of poetry
- Young People’s Literature: a book written for a middle grade or teen audience (fiction, nonfiction, poetry, and graphic novels are eligible)
Books may be nominated in only one category. The Minnesota Book Awards makes the final category placement for all nominated books. Nominations may be submitted by the book’s author, publisher or agent.
- A complete entry form must be submitted online for each title.
- A fee of $45 per title must accompany each nomination. Publishers submitting more than four titles may pay just $20 per additional book.
- Checks can be made payable to The Friends of the Saint Paul Public Library and should include the titles of the books being nominated.
- Print books: five non-returnable copies must be submitted. Books become the property of the Minnesota Book Awards and will be donated to Minnesota public libraries following the judging process.
- eBooks: one printed and bound 8.5” x 11” copy (including publication date) must be submitted with detailed instructions to download the book. If not available free, include the cost of four additional downloads with your nomination fee.
- The nomination form, entry fee, and book copies must be received at The Friends of the Saint Paul Public Library’s office by the nomination deadline: Friday, December 5, 2014
Please send nomination materials to: The Friends of the Saint Paul Public Library 325 Cedar Street, Suite 555 Saint Paul, MN 55101-1055 Phone: 651-222-3242 Fax: 651-222-1988 Email: firstname.lastname@example.org Materials may also be delivered in person between 9 a.m. and 5 p.m., Monday through Friday. PLEASE NOTE: Submission is not complete until The Friends has received all required items: completed nomination form, $45 entry fee, and five copies of the book for each title submitted. Information from your nomination will be used in Minnesota Book Awards promotional and other official materials, so please make sure it is accurate and complete.