Started in 1945, The Friends of the Saint Paul Public Library is a nonprofit, community membership organization dedicated to supporting the Saint Paul Public Library. Our members advocate for a strong library. We believe that ours is the best and most-used library system of its size in the country, and that it deserves an engaged organization that represents the community’s interests on library issues.
The Friends of the Saint Paul Public Library has an active board of directors, vital civic and corporate partners, more than 3,000 members, and we’re getting better every year. We are proud to be honored as one of the nation’s premier Friends organizations. Your membership strengthens the Saint Paul Public Library and ensures the continued growth of library services.
Stronger libraries for stronger communities
As an influential voice for libraries, we will ensure the Saint Paul Public Library and libraries in Minnesota, nationally and internationally are vital centers of engaged, educated and diverse communities.
The Friends is guided in its work by:
• Creative, innovative and entrepreneurial approaches to challenging issues;
• Inclusivity and integrity in all its activities;
• Responsible stewardship of its resources in perpetuity.
The Friends support a variety of library initiatives, including:
• Purchase of thousands of new books and materials for the library’s collection
• Innovative children’s reading programs
• A spectrum of support services for students of all ages
• WORKplace services helping job seekers, providing computer skills training, and supporting small business development
• Award-winning literary and cultural events including the Minnesota Book Awards – a year-round program celebrating our state’s best books
• Effective advocacy for strong public support of the library
Work with us!